View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Platinum

Default Re: An American engraver in Italy

Yes Danny you are correct, I completely missed "PC" I still have electronics on the brain, hehe. As to your actual question, I am planning to take my PC over to London next week. I just finished sixs months of grueling work , the coffers are full, and I am going to visit my engraving buddies, and meet some more . I may be going to a couple of gun auctions, I will try to get by purdeys' and Hollands', but my main interest is the engravers. I will also try to visit some barrelmakers and wood guys, maybe even visit a pub or two, or three.
I will go to several museums, there is so much over there, and if I can I will get some english hackers along for the ride. I will have a car, so perhaps i will drive over to france for a bit. I would also like to see the london proof house.
Andrew I love your positive comments, they really apeal to my vanity( All sin is vanity) And I will think of writing things you can use. An editors road is much harder to travel than a writers, I writer must merely experience the world freely and retain a bit of it, an editor must be a judge of writing, but even more he must be a judge of agenda and motive to pursue an ethical and moral stewardship that is not always so clear to see. There are powerful forces that want things from the guild, be aware. Good Luck my friend.
The italians have an advantage in numbers of students, and the geography. They are very close to florence and Rome and al the beauty and good public works that have come before. It is engraving by cultural immersian.
Andrew in my work the good desin comes in blinding flashes of momentary inspiration, After Ben Shostle died I swear I was channeling his work for a few months even though I had never followed his style. I cannot tell you where that comes from. it need not take more than a moment...
Cheers from the old red...

Last edited by Barry Lee Hands; 03-15-2007 at 10:01 AM.