View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Copper

Default Re: Attempting Bulino (Dot) Engraving

Thank you Steve.

Unfortunately, that is with printer's ink applied. I'm using an oil based product called Speedball, Black Printing Ink, from Blick. I tried to find the stuff you recommended but was unsuccessful. This stuff has the consistency of hair gel or perhaps toothpaste.

I'm rubbing it on then using newspaper to wipe it off almost immediately. I'm finding some of it comes off while other areas stay. It is leaving a somewhat splotchy appearance. The woman's pants, from the viewer's right side, is an example of what I'm experiencing.

At first I thought this was because the dots weren't deep enough but then it is sticking in shallower areas. That seems to leave three options, wrong ink, metal preparation before applying the ink (which I've done none) or my dot producing technique is questionable (or a combination of the above).

I do appreciate your taking the time to say something. I can't expect to supplant decades of engraving experience with diligent effort over the short term . . . and I don't. I'm learning rapidly but there are so many subtleties to master which, for me, is a good thing.