View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Steel

Default Well, I am now a shipwrecked sailor.

So as my username suggests, I am a sailor. My family and I have sailed 10,000 miles over 15 years. My family consists of my wife of 19 years, and my three daughters, 17, 15, 2.5, and myself.

This year we left Key West Florida for The Rio Dulce in Guatemala. Due to engine failure and other factors we found ourselves at anchor with a dangerous shore and an un forecast tropical storm. We snapped two 1.25 inch anchor lines and went over a very narrow barrier island and then onto a sandy beach. Our boat was stripped and we lost everything, including the boat and our savings.

We are now safely in Guatemala with my long retired father, preparing his large boat for a round the world journey. Which is why we were sailing here to begin with. Clearly, we are going to be okay.

I have been engraving coins for the last few years with tools I made. By the way, this forum and the many videos online have been invaluable. As it stands ALL of my tools are gone. I have a small budget to work with.

My question is do you think one would be better off investing in a cheap ball vise and making new gravers and punches by hand with commonly available stones or buying the deluxe coin engraving set and building a vise again?