View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Test Driving the Lindsay Glide-Lock

I've had the opportunity to test drive one of the new Glide-Lock model vises over the past two weeks. Steve sent one of the new heavier (58 pound) models of the vise for me to try out under a variety of different engraving situations.

First, let me say that any good machinist could probably build a big heavy vise for engravers, but since we have all become accustomed to Lindsay quality in our engraving equipment, this Glide-Lock was certainly no dissapointment. In additon to being big, solid, and heavy, the Glide-Lock is also beautifuly machined - and its works flawlessly.

The cam-lock levers that allow you to tilt the sphere and adjust the lineal top slide work easily and positively. The engineering objective was to create a vise that remains centered under the microspscope as the sphere is tilted. Steve solved that problem with the sphere - that allows you to tilt the entire top section without losing center. Then, the lineal movement of the top section provides about 4 1/2" of side-to-side movement for following scrolls under the scope - significantly more than any other commercial engraver's block or vise.

This photo shows the entire setup under my scope with a custom M-70 Winchester action in the jaws. You can see that I have the sphere tilted to the front and the vise top set off-center, allowing me to engrave through the curve of the action.

Here you can see the top of the vise and the scrolled inlay I was working on the flat of the action.

In this shot you can see the 12" barrel of a Colt SAA. As I engraved the scroll pattern it was very easy to rotate the sphere without losing the visual center of the pattern under the scope.

So, it's been fun, and I've enjoyed the opportunity to use this great piece of equipment. This vise is a test model and Steve is working on some additional improvements to the design. Sooner or later I'll have one of these for myself!

Mike Dubber