Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Steel

Default Re: thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffer
1. The British Islands, were basically segmented into 4 general areas. Wales, Ireland, Scotland, & Britain. Each had it's own culture ( one, Scotland had 2 distinct cultures. Lowland & Highland. )
B. The next step was to narrow it down farther - Scotland.
2. As I mentioned above, Scotland had 2 distinct cultures ( Lowland & Highland) Here is a map of the 2 geographical locations.
a.some pertinent thoughts on the Lowland culture
1. The culture was basically "British" -- Language was "British ( Scots English )(the "educated spoke French also) -- ( note, "British "culture was primarily their own adaptation of French # @ times "German influences) Clothing was "British -- Art was "British" -- Weapons were "British" Etc.
2. The Economic POWER was located here.
3. The Political POWER was here ( a side note that may "shock you ) is that the 4 major heros in Scottis history, were LOWLANDERS ( The Bruce, Wallace, James Douglas ( the Black Douglas) & "Bonney Prince Charles")

I am going to take a break hre, PLEASE comment. The next post will be the HIGHLANDERs

Puffer
Hi Puffer,

I just thought I'd better correct some of your terminology if you'd kindly allow me to as it may lead to a better understanding of what you are trying to put across.

Firstly, the British Isles as you correctly state are a collection of islands spanning from the Channel Islands off the coast of France to the Shetlands in the far North Sea. The smaller of the two main islands contains two countries; Eire and Northern Ireland or Ulster. The larger of the islands contains Wales, Scotland and England not Britain. Britain was formed in 1707 by The Act of Union which brought the 2 Parliaments of England and Scotland together. Wales is a 'principality' in that it has no king/queen of it's own but does have the Prince of Wales (a bit like Monaco) and Ireland, again not having royalty as it's head of state, was a province. These 4 countries came together in economic union to from Great Britain and eventually the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as it is today.

Secondly, Britain being a sea going nation, and having been invaded countless times during it's history, has many influences in it's arts. For example, that which is considered 'Celtic' has influences/cross overs in the Pictish and Viking arts.

I could go on but at the moment am pressed for time but I hope this clarifies some of the geography.