View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Platinum

Default Re: New - Low Profile Turntable Vise

Took delivery of this new ball vise yesterday, Steve,

and I am very pleased with all aspects of its design.

Thank you, Dave London, for showing me your Lindsay vise, a larger, earlier model, but having the same geometry!

I was long overdue to put aside my big ball vise, a perfectly good one, as the objects I engrave do not need a massive vise, other engravers, say of firearms, may need a heavier vise, but not me.

Steve's new vise seems just right for my work. Now that many of us work with a turntable, there is really no need to have a split ball design, as the turntable handles that, and also allows the vise to easily place any part of the work right on the revolving axis, in a few seconds. Of course, I really like my own little invention of a laser dot (dimmable) always showing me where the revolving axis of the turn table is located.

(The parts, to make one of these for yourself, cost all of $8 and instructions are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/rodcameron2/ ).

Back to the new vise. It will be no surprise to Lindsay customers to learn that the moving parts move like pure silk, the screw and jaws feel like they are moving by themselves. You can see in photos that the design is attractive. It has a very nice hand hold, and you can finger walk the vise around 360 degrees with ease. I like the low height, as I can raise my sawn-off drilling-machine stand table up another few inches, and get more leg room for my big skeleton. Then there is the large curved base, whose radius center is at the top of the jaws. This is so obviously the way to go, the top surface does not go out of focus, nor do you loose the image on your scope when you adjust the angle.

The price is right!

All in all, I am a happy camper, thank you, Steve!

Rod