View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Platinum

Default Carl Bleile - sharpening with templates & pictures

This is a look at one way of sharpening tools using the Lindsay templates. I am using the deep line, banknote template. For most of my sharpening I now use an inexpensive table top drill press with mandrels (available through Lindsay Engraving Tools) to hold my grinding discs starting at 100 grit down to 2,000 depending on the tool I run these between 1200 and 2400rpm for roughing, 400to 600 for lighter grinding like faces and heels or switch to the bench hones. First I set my table so that the surface of the wheel and the table where the base of my template will set is ½ inch different in height, I use the Lindsay diamond hone as a reference as it is ½ inch.

On the first grind I remove metal on one side until the new angle is about 3/8 inch back from the tip

The second grind is made until it is even with the first as viewed from the bottom

The third grind is to remove excess metal from the top of the tool, I make this a little smaller then needed because when I put the face on it will become larger

The forth and last grind for the banknote tool is done with the larger template and the Lindsay 2,000 grit bench hone

after getting the size face needed

I rub the tool back and forth on a piece of leather to remove any wire edges.

Lastly attach the tool

and make some test cuts. In the picture with the dime I’m showing the banknote tool tip next to a human hair sometimes the tip can be larger or smaller depending on the work and type of metal to be cut.

For the Deep Line Tool I use the large template and make the face bigger

and add heels

I made the heels larger than needed to show up in the picture

For extra strength or inlaying gold I will put a radius on the bottom and face to match the work I am doing.

Hope this will help, questions welcome.
I’ll be showing the other templates soon and how all the tools cut,
Carl Bleile
Southwest, Ohio