View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Possible Nimschke engraved gun

Preston,

Those are pretty good photos. Much better than we usually get when someone is inquiring about "who done it."

I just checked Nimschke's engraving record of pulls shown in "L.D.Nimschke Firearms Engraver." There are only a few Sharps pepperboxes in the record and unfortunatly yours is not in there. The ones he recorded are pretty ornate. This does not totally rule out your gun because he did not make a pull of everything he ever engraved.

One of the problems I have with it being an LDN is the backstrap. I have never seen an example of Nimschke's work that used such a motif on the backstrap. Also the cuts show rushed or hurried execution which is typical of factory engraved guns of the period. Nimschke was more deliberate in his execution since his reputation was connected with every gun whereas the factory engravers were largely unknown outside the factory and they were under pressure to complete the gun and get on to the next one.

CRB